A new Frank Ocean project is imminent.
After a number of years with no releases, recently teased information alludes to the possible release of a new Frank Ocean album exclusively on Apple Music tomorrow, August 5.
The last project we heard from Christopher Francis Ocean–better known as Frank Ocean–was his 2012 Grammy-award-winning debut channel ORANGE. The album, which was well received and critically acclaimed, helped drive the artists’ name further into the limelight. The album sold more than 100,000 units in its first week and currently has a Gold RIAA Certification.
Buzz first began for Ocean’s followup album in 2013 when he announced he had begun working on what would be another conceptual album to follow his 2012 release. Three years later there has yet to be a release–possibly, until now.
On July 2, 2016, he alluded to a potential second album release after putting a picture on his website. The picture is of library card labeled “Boys Don’t Cry” with numerous date stamps, potentially having a meaning related to personal due dates for the project. The dates begin with July 2, 2015 and conclude with November 13, 2016.
Here’s a condensed Frank Ocean timeline:
- Christopher Edwin Breaux requests a name change–on LegalZoom–to Christopher Francis Ocean.
- Ocean releases his mixtape, nostalgia,ULTRA. The mixtape featured songs “Swim Good” and “Novacane.”
- Ocean came out as bisexual and addresses a love for another man he had when he was 19 in a post on his tumblr blog.
- Ocean releases his debut album, channel ORANGE.
- In an interview with Zane Lowe on Lowe’s BBC Radio 1 show, Ocean said that he was 10 or 11 songs into his next project. “I’m like 10,11 songs into this next thing,” he said on the show. “It’s another cohesive thing bordering on a concept album again. At the end of channel ORANGE there’s ‘Golden Girl’ and I kind of want to extend that feeling into the next record. I’m going to Bora Bora when I get back and setting up a studio there and see what happens.”
- Ocean is featured on Jay Z’s 12th album, Magna Carta Holy Grail, on the song “Oceans.”
- Ocean performs a new song during a concert in London.
- Ocean signs to new label, Three Six Zero.
- Ocean releases a snippet, “Memrise,” of what is believed to be a single from his upcoming album.
- Name change to Christopher Francis Ocean is official.
- Ocean posts a photo on his tumblr page holding magazines with the title Boys Don’t Cry.
- One of Ocean’s reps told Billboard an album and a publication was to be due out July 2015.
- Ocean appears on “Wolves” on Kanye West’s album The Life of Pablo.
- Ocean posts a photo to his website of a due date page from books that normally appears at libraries. The page contained multiple “due dates” some of them including dates that are purported to be significant in the timeline of his album releases. The most recent of the releases being a smudged “JUL __ 2016” and Nov. 13, 2016. The tag also has “Boys Don’t Cry” on the bottom of it.
- Theophilus London tweets about a new Frank Ocean album.
— Frank Ocean Daily (@TeamFrankDaily) July 2, 2016
Though this isn’t an end-all-be-all writeup of the Frank Ocean timeline, it’s enough to give fans and new readers an idea of the time it has taken for the artist to release new music. Could the dates be tracks he wrote (a la Kendrick Lamar untitled unmastered.)? Could it all be a troll? Fans will not know until tomorrow.